Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Panamanian Salad

Tony and I will be heading to a Panamanian dinner tonight...and I signed up to bring a salad. Now, at first, I thought it could be funny to walk in with a Caesar Salad or Greek Salad...but no, I had to research Panamanian Salads. I perused the Internet a bit, asked my brother who lives in Nicaragua for inspiration, and settled upon a mango, avocado, and candied pecan salad. Here's to hoping it fits the theme sufficiently.

Candied Pecans:
1/4 c brown sugar
1 T olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 cup pecans
Stir sugar, oil and vinegar over med. heat until sugar melts and syrup bubbles. Mix in Pecans. Stir until covered and toast about 7 minutes. Allow to cool on parchment paper.

Dressing:
5 T olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
Whisk together and set aside

Combine 6 cups washed baby spinach, 1 mango (peeled, pitted and cut into pieces) 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and cut) and cooled pecans. Pour dressing over salad and season as needed with salt and pepper.

¡Que aproveche!

No comments:

Post a Comment