Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Return...and Strawberry Preserves

So some friends have noticed I haven't blogged for a while. I guess in a way it's nice to know people were actually reading my blog once upon a time when I was regularly writing. Now that the craziness of school in the spring has come to an end, I have some time and energy to cook, create, and even think creatively again! Hallelujah!

A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure of picking strawberries with my dear friends Jocelyn and Maggie. Berry picking always brings me back to my childhood...my family picked just about anything that grew on a tree, bush or vine. Then we would take all the bounty home and preserve it, freeze it, or eat it. And in following that tradition, Jocelyn and I proceeded to can 14 jars of Strawberry Preserves and Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. The process was quite long, but the kitchen smelled delicious, the company was delightful, and the finished products are quite beautiful (tasting and looking!).


Here are some highlights:

Beautiful berries


Cooking down the fruit
Separating the juices from the fruit
The finished jars!

No comments:

Post a Comment