Happy Birthday to our furry friend Sweet Melissa (aka Mel). While I agree that children will someday totally change our lives, I would also say that Mel has totally changed our lives. She claims a spot on both the couch and the bed as her own. She expects not one, but two, walks a day. And she protects her bones even in her sleep. But how can we complain...we have gained an instant snuggling companion, a constant reason to get outside and exercise, and the bone thing...maybe that just provides us with some cute pictures?
In Mel's honor, here is her favorite recipe...from scratch.
Peanut Butter and Honey Oat Crunchies
1/4 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup peanut oil
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat bran
3-4 cups oat flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a saucepan, combine honey, PB, chicken broth and oil. Heat to a simmer and then remove from heat and add oats and bran. Gradually add flour. Roll in batches 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter and place on cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes and flip. Bake another 30 minutes. Cool in oven overnight. I found they can be frozen and last for several months. (Makes a ton of treats!!!!)
I can appreciate this "dog thing" only coming from our own dear children, Bethany and Tony!
ReplyDelete